LWS and Domestic Mining - Current Events

Lytle Water Solutions, LLC, has historically provided hydrologic and environmental services to the domestic mining industry, including: water rights, water supply development, dewatering, baseline hydrologic characterization studies, floodplain studies, permitting, diversion structure designs, as well as hydrologic studies related to environmental assessments and mitigation measures to provide support for environmentally-responsible mining projects.

LWS is committed to protecting surface and ground water resources while remaining mindful of the legitimate demand for mineral resource extraction. For example, LWS has designed and implemented dewatering systems to prevent infiltration of surface water and groundwater into mine workings, which also controlled mine-affected waters from entering surface and groundwater systems in the area around the mine site.  

Section 232 Uranium Mining

There may be changes coming in the US uranium mining industry regarding quantities of imported and domestically-produced uranium. In July 2018 the United States Department of Commerce initiated a Section 232 investigation into the currently high levels of uranium imports.

According to the U.S. Energy Information Administration, the United States imports most of the uranium it uses as fuel. Approximately 7% of the uranium delivered to U.S. reactors in 2017 was produced within the United States while the remaining 93% was imported from other countries. The U.S. does not have control over the production methodologies and the impacts to the global environment from imported fuels and has limited influence on pricing and reliable production and delivery. According to the World Nuclear Association, nuclear plants generate 20% of U.S. electricity and over 60% of the U.S. carbon-free electricity and clean energy. Additionally, the U.S. reliance on nuclear power for electricity generation has grown from 11% in 1980, to nearly 20% in 2008.

LWS continues our water resource work by helping in the development of responsible, clean and sustainable energy resources through our expertise in providing hydrologic and environmental services to the domestic mining industry. LWS encourages thoughtful consideration of the potential costs and benefits of providing more uranium domestically and invites you to add your comments and views through the link provided by the Department of Commerce.

The Dept of Commerce is accepting public comments to consider in their investigation until September 10, 2018: